Black Sky Aerospace Pty Ltd (BSA) is an industry leader in Aerospace and Defence environments.BSA is enabling Australia's access to space; providing launch vehicles, propulsion systems, ground support and infrastructure for aerospace companies from around the world.
BSA specialises in payload delivery systems through proprietary propulsion systems, componentry and vehicles. Additionally, BSA provides access to calibration and simulation systems that redefines the way traditional data is acquired.
In less than 8 months from inception, on 21 November 2018, BSA launched Australia's first commercial payloads, marking a significant moment in history as Australia entered the modern space age.
Combined, they have they created an unprecedented capability in Aerospace and Defence sectors.
Blake has been involved in the explosives and aviation industry for over 20 years. Blake holds a number of qualifications in risk management, quality management and product development. Blake has taken advantage of his experience as a pilot in the Australian Army and applied that to his role in BSA. Blake sits on the board of various rocketry organisations in Australia. Blake is well versed in ITAR/EAR regulations as well as Australian legislation and is the primary contact to state and national regulators.
HEAD OF ENGINEERING
Dave is an electrical engineer by profession, however has been involved in all facets of engineering from design and implementation through to management of multi million dollar projects. Dave has been involved in the aerospace industry for over 15 years and sits on the board of various rocketry organisations in Australia. Dave has been shooting for over 35 years and has an extensive knowledge of small arms and ammunition. BSc, DipEng
SAFETY TEAM LEADER
Karl has worked in the safety industry for over 30 years with his involvement in seat belt development and manufacturing and health care services across the globe. A former member of the Australian Army, Karl is a natural leader and his role in BSA as an educator ensures the entire team has the knowledge and skills to complete daily tasks or challenges that will arise in these diverse industries. MEd, DipEd, BA
STRUCTURES TEAM LEADER
Rob has worked in the metal manufacturing industry for over 20 years. He has extensive knowledge of laser processing of metals, both flat and structural as well as metal folding and sub-assembly construction. Professionally, Rob specialises in management, governance, process improvement, ERP system implementation and development and business systems. Co-founder of Laser Central in 1998 and several other businesses since, Rob is seasoned entrepreneur who knows what it takes to build a business from the ground up. Although newer to the rocket world, Rob has achieved Range Safety and Launch Control qualifications in the first year of involvement, reflecting Rob’s strong belief in understanding and being apart of safety and risk management that underlie process activity. BE (Hon), BSc Qld, MBA (Exec) AGSM DipCM DipMgmt MIEAust CPEng FIML GAICD
AVIONICS TEAM LEADER
David has held senior management and leadership positions in both the telecommunications and property industry, and has led multi-disciplined teams in large projects and operations. His roles have involved extensive overseas experience across all of Asia and parts of Europe, and at one stage was based in France working on a global telecommunications merger. Most recently David has owned an electronics design and manufacturing business. David spent 10 years in the Army Reserve Infantry and gained qualifications in mortar operations and disposal of malfunctioned explosives ordinance. David also has formal qualifications in electronics, telecommunications, and holds a Graduate Diploma in Digital Communications. David brought High Power Rocketry to Australia as the founder the first HPR organisation, and has been developing rocketry avionics for 20 years, including GPS tracking, telemetry systems, and pyrotechnic actuators.
Rob has spent 25 years working in sport development and event management. He brings a solid strategic marketing direction for the BSA team and a wealth of media knowledge. Previous roles for Rob have included work with many National and International sporting federations, Government Departments and has seen him develop various programs and events around the world. His transition in to the BSA team and the aerospace industry will see a new direction in our marketing, PR and promotion. Ba. Sports Mgmt.
Black Sky Aerospace, helping YOU redefine space
We live in a complex world with diverse requirements. BSA works with YOU, to redefine space as we know it. BSA knows that every customer is different and our team can assist every step along the way to meet your desired goals.
From inception, through to integration and deployment, BSA success is delivered through proactive communication with key stakeholders to identify and validate project needs to meet strategic and operational requirements.
Media & News
- Successful firing of the first commercial liquid fuelled rocket in Australia - Australian rocket company, Valiant Space, has successfully fired the first commercially developed liquid fuelled rocket engine in Australian history.
- Black Sky Aerospace and Raptor Aerospace complete Australia’s first private sounding rocket campaign | 7NEWS - History Made! Black Sky Aerospace and Raptor Aerospace have completed the first step towards building Australia's and the UK's Space Bridge.
- Black Sky Aerospace facilitating Australia’s first international rocket testing and sounding rocket launch partnership - Queensland based launch provider, Black Sky Aerospace and UK company Raptor Aerospace will conduct Australia’s first privately operated, international rocket motor test and sounding rocket launch campaign.
- Australian/Queensland Rocket Manufacturer Secures Priority Access to unique site where NASA will launch in 2020 - Black Sky Aerospace (BSA) will become the first Australian rocket manufacturer to gain priority access to one of the world’s most efficient launch locations, The Arnhem Space Centre in the Northern Territory.
- Black Sky Aerospace miles ahead of competition - BSA has committed to an expansion of Australia’s first privately owned, commercial sub – orbital launch facility, complete with rooms for operations, storage, accommodation and even an additional sealed runway for critical logistics.
- Queensland rocketeers given green light to build rocket fuel factory | 7NEWS - ...It's rocket fuel and now it's set to be made right here in the South East. "We're paving the way forward for the space industry" [...]
- Black Sky Aerospace rockets towards manufacturing solid rocket boosters - Black Sky Aerospace has just been given the green light by regulators to begin the process towards the manufacture of Solid Rocket Motors (SRM). The South – East Queensland space company, based in the City of Logan, will be the first manufacturer of its kind in Australia and will be able to provide access to […]
- Interns blast off and heading for space! - Three talented interns from the University of Queensland have grasped the opportunity to go from books to designing, building and launching a real rocket. Bryan Greenham, Jesse Cilliers and Isabelle Fleming have cherished the prospect that their work on Brisbane radio station Hit 105’s promotion “Out of this world proposal” will be integral to not […]
- Australia’s first commercial payloads launched - In a major milestone for Australia’s space industry, Black Sky Aerospace has today successfully launched Australia’s first commercial payloads from a site in Queensland. The largely Australian designed and manufactured launch vehicle took off with three commercial payloads on board, marking a major leap forward for the development of Australia’s space industry. Blake Nikolic, director […]